Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 7, 2011

2011 Acworth Women’s Triathlon

Well, today was the big day! I competed in my very 1st triathlon. (And I say “competed” very loosely.)  My goal for doing this triathlon was just to finish it, to work for something and finish it and be proud of myself for completing it.  That is what I did today. I FINISHED a TRIATHLON! I never in a million years would have guessed I could or would do that. The components were a 400 yard swim, 13 mile bike and 5K (3.1 mile) run.   Here are some pics of my big day:

DSC_0152

This was when we first got to the lake at 6am!

DSC_0153

DSC_0154

I had to put my race number on EVERYTHING! My race number was 555.

DSC_0156

I was contemplating the swim course and wondering what in the world I was doing here!

DSC_0168

All lined up, waiting for my group to start the swim. This is my look at Matthew to ask him if he was sure I could do this.

DSC_0173

Here we go! My swim strategy was to stay in the back and let the stronger swimmers go ahead. I was terrified of getting caught in a mass of kicking feet and flailing arms. I walked out as far a I could, it was pretty shallow for a long way.

DSC_0177

DSC_0180

Done with the swim!! Yay! I didn’t drown and I didn’t have to stop and hold onto any of the boats! That’s me on the right.

DSC_0182

DSC_0185

Time to bike! Off I go!

DSC_0187 I took a very scenic tour of Acworth. I took a LONG ride down 41. The beginning was the toughest part. There were alot of hills and there was some road construction and the roads were open so cars were driving around me. A few times I thought I was going to die and no one would find me. I pretty much bike by myself the whole way. I thought for sure I was in last place.

DSC_0197

After the bike, I had one more leg, the run. Except I had no run left in me. I walked most of it. I was disappointed because the run was supposed to be my strongest area. About a mile from the finish my legs got really sore and were burning.

DSC_0201

But I didn’t give up! I pulled through enough to run across the finish line.

DSC_0207

Matt and I after the race in front of one of our favorite restaurants, which happened to be right at the finish line.

DSC_0211

I still had to go back and get my bike from the transition area at the lake. But, I was done!

The results were already posted this evening. My overall time was 2 hours, 19 minutes, 48 seconds.  I felt pretty good until I saw that I finished 493 out of 503 and next to last in my age group.  I am REALLY trying not to be discouraged by that.  I just keep reminding myself that my goal was to finish it and I did that. And I only trained for 2 months and not very well. I went from overweight and inactive to doing a triathlon.  My individual times were: Swim 14 min, 15 sec; Bike 1 hour, 15 min, 34 sec; Run 46 min, 29 sec.

I have to thank my amazing family! Matthew- I NEVER could have done this without you! Your support meant the world to me. Your were right beside me running and logging in time at the pool. Thanks Mom for letting me use your bike. Thank you Matt, Josh, Mom and Dad for coming to watch me today and cheer me on. Thank you Mimi for staying at home with the cubby.  It was such a relief to know he was safe and sound at home waiting for me.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You did awesome! I'm so happy for you. And now you can say that you have done a triathlon! That's such a great example to set for your son - to work towards something hard and reach your goal. Please don't be discouraged by your number. There would have been plenty more people after you, but none of us had the guts to do a triathlon! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete